courtesy of 3poppies photography

Monday 9 January 2012

A spiritual new year

I love new year. To me it is a significant passage of time. A fresh start. I try and make resolutions every year and since having M.E my goals have not been physical, but more emotional and spiritual. The last half of 2011 was extremely difficult for me physically and so took its toll on me emotionally. I wanted to set goals to make 2012 a better year, but the things that would make me happy were out of my control. Instead I had to think outside the box and look for things to make me happy that were in my control.
I decided my goal for 2012 was to become more like Jesus Christ. I believe that through getting to know him through the scriptures and emulate His example I will find peace, I will strengthen my relationships with my family and friends and have courage to face my trials.
We've been in 2012 for a week now and whilst I have thought about my goal and tried hard every day, I have failed every day. At least with this goal I can keep trying.

I find my trials difficult to bear at times, but reading these inspired words by our prophet Thomas S Monson, has given me emotional strength to keep trying.
"There will be times when you will be frightened and discouraged. You may feel that you are defeated. The odds of obtaining victory may appear overwhelming. At times you may feel like David trying to fight Goliath. But remember—David did win!... "Have the determination to make the effort, the single-mindedness to work toward a worthy goal, and the courage not only to face the challenges that inevitably come but also to make a second effort, should such be required. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says, “I’ll try again tomorrow.”

I Often wonder how my thoughts and feelings can be described so well by someone else. I do get frightened, I do get discouraged. I also know that there are too many of my friends and family going through their own trials at the moment. So, to all of us I wish that 2012 can be our year. Our trials may not change, but may we have the courage to face them and find peace and happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment